Thursday, May 15, 2008

NueroAnatomist: Jill Bolte Taylor

Well, this post has nothing to do with marketing. I just felt like sharing this video I encountered some time ago.
Jill Bolte Taylor is a nueroanatomist who devoted her life in studying about schizoprenia and other disorders of the brain.
Listen to her talk in this video (just click this link) http://www.ted.com/talks/view/id/229
A Brief Account of her story:
One morning, a blood vessel in Jill Bolte Taylor's brain exploded. As a brain scientist, she realized she had a ringside seat to her own stroke. She watched as her brain functions shut down one by one: motion, speech, memory, self-awareness ...
Amazed to find herself alive, Taylor spent eight years recovering her ability to think, walk and talk. She has become a spokesperson for stroke recovery and for the possibility of coming back from brain injury stronger than before. In her case, although the stroke damaged the left side of her brain, her recovery unleashed a torrent of creative energy from her right. From her home base in Indiana, she now travels the country on behalf of the Harvard Brain Bank as the "Singin' Scientist."

"How many brain scientists have been able to study the brain from the inside out? I've gotten as much out of this experience of losing my left mind as I have in my entire academic career."
Jill Bolte Taylor

6 comments:

Bridgie said...

thank you. I couldn't agree more. I loved the video by Jill Bolte Taylor on TED.

Also, did you see Dr Taylor's interviews with Oprah on Soul Series - wonderful!

Best of all is her book MY STROKE OF INSIGHT - I've read it twice already. Second time better than the first

Dr. Taylor is a great inspiration. The lessons in the book are life-changing...very simple yet very powerful.

Here's the link to the book http://www.amazon.com/My-Stroke-Insight-Scientists-Personal/dp/0670020745/ref=pd_ts_b_12?ie=UTF8&s=books

and here's the link to Oprah's interviews
http://www2.oprah.com/spiritself/oss/guest/oss_guest_jboltetaylor.jhtml

Hema said...

You can get Jill's book "My Stroke of Insight" from Amazon for a good discount.
Here's the Link
:
http://www.amazon.com/My-Stroke-Insight-Scientists-Personal/dp/0670020745/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210709205&sr=8-4

Anonymous said...

I read "My Stroke of Insight" in one sitting - I couldn't put it down. I laughed. I cried. It was a fantastic book (I heard it's a NYTimes Bestseller and I can see why!), but I also think it will be the start of a new, transformative Movement! No one wants to have a stroke as Jill Bolte Taylor did, but her experience can teach us all how to live better lives. Her TED.com speech was one of the most incredibly moving, stimulating, wonderful videos I've ever seen. Her Oprah Soul Series interviews were fascinating. They should make a movie of her life so everyone sees it. This is the Real Deal and gives me hope for humanity.

A Marketer's Ramblings said...

Thank you, Bridgie for sharing the link of Jill Taylor's interview by Oprah but I can't seem to open it, though. Thanks for the book's link, also. I appreciate the gesture.

A Marketer's Ramblings said...

Thanks for dropping by, Susan.

Wish I could read My Stroke of Insight, too. Yes, her account at Ted's is wonderful. Everyone could see her video is an insightful testimonial that there really is a greatest force in our lives - God.

A Marketer's Ramblings said...

Thanks, Hemalata for the link discount! Feel free to drop by again.